Thursday, September 29, 2011

I hate dishes

I like to make things.  I like to have a project to do.  I like to plan it out.  I like to see it come together.  It can take a long time, that's fine.  But when it is done, I want something amazing and I want it to stay done.  
I get great satisfaction out of it.  

Dishes are not like that.  In fact most housework is not like that.  If we work hard and stick with it and get all the dishes done and the kitchen cleaned up (we have no dishwasher and 9 people in the house), I feel good about our accomplishment, but then, someone eats something, and the dishes have to be done again!  The big project doesn't stay done!  It is the same for other housework too, especially laundry.

People ask how I do it all with 7 kids.  I don't.  I don't like to do the same thing over and over, so that puts house work on the bottom of my list of things to do.  Instead you can find me 
growing a gardening,


building a fence,


doing someone's hair,


making bat costumes for Halloween, 


or a Roly Poly costume for the school play,



or anything other than house work.  T loves that I have a salon in our house, because we have to maintain a minimum amount of clean and if I have a client coming over, we
 are whipping through the house getting it ready.  (at least the parts that they will see:).
The problem with not liking to clean up each meal is, I don't like to/ can't cook in our 1940's kitchen if it is dirty.  It is to small, there is no counter space.


Since we like to eat, I guess we had better go do the dishes.

4 comments:

Belkycita said...

You are SO funny!!

I don't like dishes either, and no dishwasher for us :-(

At least you are not just sitting on your bum doing nothing.

You know, I had some friends in ABQ that used paper plates every single day because they didn't like doing dishes. Seriously!! I thought it was crazy but they were newlyweds and had no kids.

Maybe you can assign everyone to do their own dish? .... yeah.. it might not work wither :-(

L said...

We occasionally do paper plates for not reason other than I just did all the dishes and don't want to do them again.
Also, we have it down to everyone has their own plate, bowl, spork and cup. They are all color coded. Maybe I will have to write a post about that. We put away all the other dishes and that was an immense help.
The last two weeks we have assigned the kids their own night they are responsible to do all the dishes and it has worked, but the rest of the house has returned to mess. It seems I have the energy to get them to do their job or the dishes, not both.

Hollis Crapo said...

Please tell me you did this blog post instead of doing the dishes.
In our new apartment we have a single small sink that fills up pretty fast and because I'm not working and don't have Internet, I am yet to find doing the few dishes we have regularly a big enOugh hassle to not do them soon. Plus, we only have two bowls and one pan and few cooking utensils. Okay, so that is probably the bigger motivation. I had to wash the same bowl twice making breakfast this morning, because one bowl has guacamole in it in the fridge.

L said...

Actually, I wrote this post several weeks ago and have been saving it in reserve until I needed it (a trick I learned from a friend of mine who is an awesome blogger). But, that is how I felt that day. And then T cleaned the kitchen, I documented it in the post "Did I mention I love that man?"