Thursday, September 8, 2011

First Day of School

Wednesday was the first day of school.  It was a crazy morning!  Rez had been given the homework assignment to do over the summer of reading 2 books, summarizing each and compare/contrasting 3 points in them.  We were reminded of this assignment last week and he has read several books over the summer, so he shouldn't have had any problem finishing it early.  Well, he didn't want to use any of those books but one, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and he was in the middle of reading Treasure Island and wanted to use that one as well.  He finished reading it Tuesday night, late.  This put us putting together his assignment Wednesday morning when we were supposed to be getting ready for school.  He wanted me to type it for him.  I was helping him, but it sucked all of our time.  He and Ocean had about 5 minutes to get ready for school.  I also wasn't helping the other kids who had to leave 40 minutes later.

I had given both Ocean and Rez their school supplies the day before, but they hadn't organized them, so Rez was also pulling out his binder from last year and taking all the papers out of it when it was time to leave.  AAAAAAAAAAAA!  

Trip took them to school, since it was Ocean's first day of Middle school.

I stayed home and helped the other kids get ready.  Their school started 20 minutes earlier this year than the last several years, so when I told them it was time to go, they weren't mentally prepared.  Mo was all dramatic because he didn't get to play video games for very long.  By the time I got him calmed down and all of us ready to go, they had 5 minutes before the bell rang.  I drove them the 3 blocks to school and went home envisioning a little quiet time before I had to go to my dentist appointment, but that was not to be. 

Trip called to tell me that Ocean had Library TA and Drama for his electives.  I asked if he didn't get into Band, because they only have 2 elective periods not 3.  Trip looked at his schedule and realized that there was no math class on there.  He left Ocean in the library TAing and took his schedule down to the office.  Then he called and begged me to come and make sure it got sorted out because he had to get to work.  

I waited for a while until my sister came over and I didn't have to take all 3 little kids in tow, then I went down to the middle school.  By then his schedule had been worked out and both boys were in an assembly.  I got to stay and help pass out first day packets as all the students left the auditorium.  Rez came out on my side.  He didn't even look at me.  When he took his packet, I held it and looked into his face.  He looked at me, but no recognition was on his face.  You have got to love 13 year olds.  Later he told me that after he went out of the room he realized that it was me.  In his defense, there was no reason for him to suspect that I would be there.  

Rez also had problems with his schedule, he didn't have a 5th or 6th period class listed, but it was worked out by the end of the day.  I don't under stand why they can't have most of it worked out before school starts, but I hear that it isn't unique to our school or even to our district.  

I got a picture of Ocean, Mo and Rez before they left, but not of Daphne.


If you have a bad first morning that means a great school year right?

3 comments:

R said...

That is so funny about R not realizing it was you!! They are all such cuties!

Carol said...

You're welcome for not having to take 3 kids in tow. I'm relishing my last year not tied to " the man's" schedule.

Michelle said...

In a school enviroment the lack of recognition can go both ways. I've been helping at the Jr. High and not recognized my daughter as she walked in. A friend experienced the same thing and her daughter was standing right in front of her!