Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm a Mormon

In the next few weeks, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which I belong to, will be having a media campaign in the city I live in.  There will be "I'm a Mormon" advertising every where.  On billboards, on buses, TV ads, you get the idea.  Yesterday at church, they told us all about it, so we would be aware of it and that we will probably have people asking us about it.

One reason they are doing it is to dispel myths about the church and it's members.  A lot of people don't know what we believe or if they think they do, what they think is wrong.  The other day, upon finding out I had 7 kids, someone asked if I was Mormon.  (That is the usually response to finding out I have 7 kids.)  After confirming that yes I was, they asked if I drove a Suburban or had a trampoline, because all Mormons that they knew had a Suburban and a trampoline, or swimming pool.  I said, "Nope, I just drive a big van and have chickens."

Another reason is to invite people to visit mormon.org.  There you will find stories of people and their answers to some commonly asked questions about us and our beliefs. You will find that the stereo typical Mormon, one that is conservative and has a big family, isn't the only kind of Mormon out there.  We are actually a very diverse bunch all bound together by our belief in Jesus Christ as our Savior, testimonies that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that God has a prophet here on earth now to guide and lead his people, and a desire to return to live with God and our families when we die.  There are a few more common beliefs that we share, you can find out what they are if you visit mormon.org.  Or you can just ask me about it.  I love to talk to people about my beliefs and to share my testimony with them.  I have found that when other Christians get to know what we actually believe, they realize that it really isn't to far from what they believe.

1 comment:

Belkycita said...

What a great opportunity for that area!

Can;t wait to hear the experiences you will have :-)