Monday, October 17, 2011

A Better Fruit Fly Trap

For years I have used a simple fruit fly trap made of a mason jar with a paper cone stuck in the top with a bit of fruit in the bottom for bait.  The flies smell the fruit and crawl down the cone and through the hole in the bottom to get to the fruit.  Once they are trapped inside, few ever find the hole in the bottom of the cone to escape.  I don't know where I learned to make this fruit fly trap, I think from my mom.  Before I always just used a jar without the ring on it.  I would have to tape the paper cone to the top of the jar so there weren't any gaps that the flies could escape through.  The trap worked great, but it was a pain to let the flies out (I basically had to destroy the trap and start over with a jar that was now sticky around the top with old tape).

This year I happen to have a jar sitting on my counter that had a ring on it but no lid, when I was looking to make a trap.  I thought I would try it with the ring.  It was great.  With the ring on it the cone fit snugly inside and I didn't have to tape the top.  This makes emptying the jar a breeze.  Just lift the cone out,  and let the flies escape outside, then set the cone back in.


I have use this trap also for an object lesson to teach about God's way verse Satan's way.  Satan's way is wide and open to start with, but it gets narrower and narrower until we are trapped, but God's way is strict and defined at the beginning and as we keep the commandments, we find ourselves with more and more freedom.  

3 Nephi 27:33

And it came to pass that when Jesus had ended these sayings he said unto his disciples: Enter ye in at the strait gate; for strait is the gate, and narrow is the way that leads to life, and few there be that find it; but wide is the gate, and broad the way which leads to death, and many there be that travel therein, until the night cometh, wherein no man can work. 

St. Matthew 7:13-14

 Enter ye in at the astrait bgate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to cdestruction, and many there be which go in thereat:      Because astrait is the bgate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto clife, and few there be that find it.

1 comment:

Maria Krieser said...

How did I never know about this fly trap? I guess mom didn't know it before I left home or something. Ingenius! And a great object lesson to boot!