Monday, August 8, 2011

Scout Camp

R was at scout camp last week.  Here he is bright and early Monday morning at 5:15 am, ready to go.


T drove a bunch of scouts up and was able to spend a couple of days there as well.  He and Rez made plans for next year for him to stay all week, when they will be joined by Ocean.



He got to climb the climbing wall (though technically he was too young).  He was a champion climber and could dino (where you let go with both hands and jump up to reach something).   T says he looked like he was skittering up the wall.  He is so lightweight that he can pull himself up easily.  

There was also a co-ed Japanese troop there at the same time.  They got to trade patches and find out about a Japanese card game.  

He also got to sleep out all night in a shelter he built himself as part of his wilderness survival merit badge.  Though he did tell me that he didn't really sleep much that night.  

One of the things he got to do was learn to shoot a .22 rifle.  He in now a member of the dime club, because he shot 5 bullets into the space of a dime on one target.  (This isn't actually the target that shows it, he forgot to get that one.)


My comment after I hugged him when he got home, "Your teeth look like you haven't brushed them in a week." 
"I haven't."
I guess there is a reason mom's don't go to scout camp :)

I just learned about a much more detailed report of his troop at scout camp here at gimletblog.com.  You can read first hand experiences and see pictures of R, T and the climbing wall, the Japanese troop and other scout doings.

3 comments:

heather said...

Hey, I just blogged about scout camp, too!

Scoutmaster's Report on GimletBlog

There are a couple pictures of R in the photo gallery linked in the blog post.

Heh ... younger scouts are notorious for not brushing their teeth, or showering ... best that what happens at scout camp, stays at scout camp. ;)

L said...

Thanks for sharing your post. I put a link to it too. Yeah, I think a lot goes on at Scout Camp that Mom's would not want to know...

Maria Krieser said...

I can't believe how grown up he has gotten. I still think of him as so little. I loved to shoot dad's rifle too. Maybe that is in our DNA also. Although I don't know if I'd want to have to shoot things for food.