Sunday, August 14, 2011

In your genes.


I have been thinking about the differences between T and I.  Not the boy/girl differences, but the likes and dislikes differences.  And I can't help but notice that it correlates to how our ancestors lived.  This makes me wonder if it is something in our genes.  Some imprint that then gets passed down in our DNA.  
I have a tendency to be thrifty and frugal, like my farmer ancestors.

 

T is likes nice stuff like his well off city dwelling ancestors.   

  
T would love to live downtown in the city and I want to live out in the country.  Last summer when we went to Idaho to visit family, my soul yearned to live out there in the wide open spaces.  I have never lived in the country before in my life, I grew up in the suburbs.  But my people did and that desire has passed down to me.  My soul wants to garden and have livestock (hence my chickens).  To make our own things and rely on ourselves.  I loved reading (and still do) the Little House on the Prairie books.  I love how resilliant and self reliant they are, they are my kind of people. 

4 comments:

Neoma said...

Maybe our ancestors chose the life they had because it was already in their genes. Although, I know its not in all their genes. Dad chose not to live on a farm on purpose. He knew how much work it was.

L said...

I don't know that I would like all the work of a full fledged farm either. But, I believe (I think I heard mom say,) that he would have liked to live where there was a little more space and have a dog. And look how many of our siblings have or had dogs:)

But what will happen to my kids. They will possibly have two pulls in opposite directions. Though last summer when we were driving through the wide open, they all wanted to move to Idaho, until we drove through Eastern Washington and they found out there were wide open spaces in Washington too.

L said...

And Dad was an awesome farmer, if you were to look at his garden for evidence.

Maria Krieser said...

I like the wide open spaces, like out here in Tooele co, but I don't really want a farm and sometimes can hardly handle my little garden. I never thought of it as being part of our DNA. Kurt wants to live in the city. I wonder if mom misses having a yard.