Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Music To My Ears

Daphne has been playing the trumpet this year.  It was her first year playing in the elementary school band.  They only have lessons once a week for 1/2 hour, but she has come along way.  (She did have some help from her older brother.)

Here she is after her concert.


Last night was the boys concert.  

Rez and Ocean walked down before hand to be there early, and I came with the rest of the kids, and Trip met us there.  Mo and Harvey, got out of the car and headed off down the side walk as I got the rest of the kids out.  When we were ready to go, Mo and Harvey were no where to be seen.  I figured they had walked down to to the doors and would be waiting by the doors for us.  When we got there, they weren't there.  They weren't inside or anywhere I could find them.  AAAAAA!  I sat Daphne, Julius and Zelda in some seats and went out to look of the boys.  I met our neighbor and he started looking with me.  Outside I met Trip who had just arrived.  We all looked inside and outside of the school.  Finally, our other neighbor, who had just arrived, said she had seen them out in the back parking lot when she pulled in.  Trip and I went out to the back parking lot and split up.  I walked up by the upper field thinking I would have a better view of the parking lot, and started calling.  
Pretty soon I heard a voice echoing mine back as I called out, "Mo".  "Mom", "Mo",
"Mom, Where have you been?"  
It is hard to be mad when they are just as upset at having lost you, too.  
They had gone to that back of the school instead of the front (who knows why) and been waiting at the back door for me, then had gone back to the car when I didn't come.  
We discussed staying put when you are lost.  

We missed the first 20 minutes of the concert.  
Luckily, it was the 4-5 grade bands and orchestras. 

Here are the middle school bands.  Beginning is on the left and advanced on the right.


I didn't get any pictures of Ocean playing, but here he is watching the advanced band.


Zelda and Trip liked the concert too.


Harvey, Mo and Julius quietly played games to keep them occupied.



Daphne just watched and listened.

We couldn't really see Rez.  He was on the 3rd row behind the girl in the center playing the flute. 
If you look closely, you can see the bottom of his baritone peeking under her music stand.  Occasionally we would get a glimpse of his red head.


and when they stood at the end, we caught him.


And one more of Ocean.


They did a fabulous job.  It is amazing how good the full band sounds compared to just hearing their parts.

No comments: